Burnham's Crossing

Camp Six of the San Jacinto Campaign

March 17-18, 1836

March 17-18: Camp at Burnham's on the Colorado River. Arrived about 4:30 p.m. Historical Marker northeast of Weimer at the intersection of County Roads 204 and 201.

 Burnam's Ferry
Marker Title: Burnam's Ferry
City: Weimar
County: Colorado
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Weimar take US 90 E about 1 1/2 miles to CR 201, go north about 1.2 miles to CR 204, go North 3.2 miles to marker (at intersection of CR 204 and CR 201)
Marker Text: First ferry in present-day Fayette County. Established about 1824 at the crossing of the La Bahia Road by Jesse Burnam. After the Army of the Republic of Texas crossed on March 19, 1836, the ferry was destroyed by order of General Sam Houston to prevent its use by the advancing Mexican Army.

Marker information courtesy Texas Historical Commission's Atlas
and map courtesy Mapblast. Visit Mapblast for driving direction to these site.

Colonel Alexander Horton's fact-based fictional dispatch from this camp gives the flavor of the place and time.

Forward to next camp site, back to the previous camp site, go to the complete campsite listings or return to the route map.