FLAGS of Texas During the Revolution
There were numerous flags/banners that were in Texas during
the revolutionary period. Few survived the events and the disposition
of the others is generally unknown. Naturally, controversy exists
over these and other suspected flags. Charlie Yates of
Legacy Association is currently working on a book about these
flags. Meanwhile we will have to depend upon some of my research
on the Evolution of the Flags
of Texas and several web sites for our information.
- Cox, Mamie Wynne, The Romantic Flags of Texas, Dallas,
Banks Upshaw & Company, 1936. (T929.9 C 877, Tx Rm, HPL)
- Flannery, John Brendan, The Irish Texans, San Antonio,
The Institute of Texas Cultures, 1980.
- Gilbert, Charles E. Jr, Flags of Texas, Gretna (La.),
Pelican Publishing Co., 1989.
- Henson, Margaret Swett, & Parmelee, Deolece, The Cartwrights
of San Augustine, Austin, Texas State Historical Association,
- O.Connor, Kathryn Stoner, Presidio La Bahia, Austin,
Von Boeckmann-Jones Co, 1966.
- Roark, Garland, The 25 Flags of Texas, reprinted by
Houston Chronicle, Houston, 1961. (T929.92 R 628, Tx Rm HPL)
- Tyler, Ron, (Editor in Chief), The New Handbook of Texas,
6 Vol. Austin, The Texas State Historical Association, 1996.
- Veazey, Steve & Potter, John D. Jr. Flags in the History
of Texas, Dallas, Hendrick-Long Publishing Co., 1991
- Vinson, Edward R., "Texas' Betsy Ross and the Men of
Goliad," Texas Celebrations, the First 150 years,
Dallas, Southwest Media Corp, 1895.
- Yates, Charlie c/o Texian
- also see special bibliography
in conjuction with Museum of Fine Arts, Houston special
flag exhibit, January 13, April 28, 2002
Flag graphics from Newton & Gamrell's History
of Texas, Dallas, Turner Co., 1935. Background flag (c) by